Next week we have the sweet treat of Waitress presented by Nashville Originals coming to Andrew Jackson Hall June 5-10! The musical revolves around Jenna, a waitress in a small town diner who finds solace in baking through the hardships in life. Her specialty…pie! Waitress has released a pie book called Sugar, Butter, Flour with recipes on how to make pies from the show and many more! We decided to try our hand at the “Almost Makes You Believe Again” pie, and let us be the first to tell you that it’s DELICIOUS! Make the pie yourself and get ready for Sara Bareilles’ Waitress with the recipe below.
- Dough for a classic single-crust pie
Almost Makes You Believe Again Pie
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppyseeds
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 6 pears, unpeeled, quartered, cored, and cut into chunks
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup minute tapioca
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter
- For The Crust: On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough until it is several inches larger than your pie pan, sprinkling lightly with a little more flour as needed. Transfer to a deep-dish pie pan, pressing the dough into all the edges. Crimp the edges of the dough in a decorative pattern. Refrigerate until ready to fill.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400 F. Place a rimmed baking sheet on the rack as it preheats.
- For The Streusel: Whisk together the flour, brown sugar, poppy seeds, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, whisk the melted butter and molasses to combine. Drizzle the butter mixture over the dry ingredients and stir together with a fork until small clumps form. Chill until needed.
- For the Filling: Combine the pears, cranberries, sugar, tapioca, vinegar, brandy, lemon, cinnamon, salt, and ginger in a large bowl and toss to mix well. Sprinkle the butter pieces over the filling and give it one or two folds with a rubber spatula. Pour the filling into the chilled pie crust and top with the streusel.
- Place the pie on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 375 F and bake until the filling is bubbling vigorously and the crust is baked through, 50 to 60 minutes more. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
There you have it! Make sure to see Waitress June 5-10 right here at TPAC. Tickets are available online at TPAC.org and by calling the box office at 615-782-4040.